melpomene

melpomene

Lord of the Silver Bow (Troy Trilogy, Book 1)

Lord of the Silver Bow - David Gemmell Interesting retelling of the lead up to the Trojan war. Not particularly great writing and some cliched stock characters brought the story down for me, particularly Andromache. The kick-ass warrior princess thing is so overdone, although I do realize there are many examples of independent warrior women in Greek myth. Andromache just did not ring true to me in her characterization and seems to have walked off the pages of Fantasy Warrior Princess Tropes instead of being a believable Bronze Age character. Helikaon suffered similarly as a hero of appropriately mythical proportions who struggles with his dark side while also swearing to marry only for love (??). He was also a bit of a bore for me, but that usually happens with main characters and their flaws-that-aren't-really-flaws. Luckily there is a large cast of characters, and I enjoyed the multi-viewpoint narrative. I did like how the mythical characters are all a bit larger than life without being magical. Odysseus in particular was a great character and I missed his presence in the second half.

Good pacing and action, even though battle scenes usually bore me a bit. I very much enjoyed the setting of ancient Greece. The period details were obviously well researched, and I really liked the alternate history (or alternative myth?) aspect which gave the story a fresh feel, even though I am curious as to why some important characters from the traditional story were killed off and/or changed so dramatically and am curious to see where the story will go since it obviously will not follow traditional paths.. Overall, even with its flaws, I enjoyed the read and will probably read the rest of the trilogy.