melpomene

melpomene

Galore

Galore - Michael Crummey

I was at first very nervous about reading this book at first because all I knew about it was that it had been compared to One Hundred Years of Solitude, which is one of only a small handful of books I’ve never been able to force myself to finish. I was very pleasantly surprised, because I absolutely loved Galore from start to finish. This is an extremely well crafted book with beautiful language; a dreamy, almost otherworldly quality to the writing; and characters that are tragic and complex, particularly the women. My only complaint would be that since the story has so many characters, (and I did have to refer often to the family tree, especially in the second half) I got more attached to some than others and was sorry to see them disappear from the book. This book has no central protagonist and jumps around in time and from character to character. While I think that might bother some people, I thought it was one of the best things about the story. I found the entirety of Part 1 to be a bit more compelling than Part 2 because it dealt more with the folklore and history of the area while Part 2 is more modern and very much part of the 20th century, although I enjoyed both. This is one of the only books I’ve read that caused me to put the book down for a moment midway through and think “Wow, this is a fantastic book” and then go back and re-read passages because I didn’t want it to end. All in all, I absolutely loved this book and would highly recommend it. I plan on looking for more of the author’s books as well.