melpomene

melpomene

In the Shadow of Gotham - Stefanie Pintoff This book was more of a 2.5 for me, but I bumped it up to 3 stars because it was mostly enjoyable, if not memorable. The setting of turn-of-the-century New York was nicely done as were the parts dealing with the birth of criminology and forensics. While the two main characters were pretty well drawn, I found that virtually all the male secondary characters blended together. I couldn’t keep them straight or even remember who they were for the most part, which is unusual for me. The only exception was the killer, which brings me to another problem. I thought he was so obviously being set up as the murderer from his first introduction that it couldn’t possibly be him. Well, it was indeed him. Disappointing. The love interest was also quite blah. I thought some of the prose was pretty clunky as well. All in all, I found the mystery to be pretty obvious and the characters flat, but it was still an okay read plot-wise and for the forensic details if you’re into that.